I was teaching at the time, so I was inside in a cold classroom walking around interacting with kids to start my day, going outside for recess duty, coming back inside to teach, and then going back outside to do after school duty. So, I was basically switching back and forth between inside and out in the Texas heat. Needless to say, at the end of the day, I wanted nothing more than a shower so I could smell clean again. I talked to my mom about this, and she gave me a sample of this deodorant that she had been using and asked me to just keep an open mind and try it.
I had no excuses not to give it a shot, so I tried it out, and after that first day, I knew I would never switch back. I felt fresh and smelled like coconut all day long, despite the Texas heat making me sweat. Ever since then, I've paid it forward to others who are wanting something different in a deodorant, and everyone that I've made a sample for has ended up switching.
The best part is that this stuff is SO easy to make, and you can buy the ingredients once and make several batches with them. Not to mention the fact that there are HUNDREDS of uses for coconut oil, so keeping some stocked in your pantry is never a bad option.
The other thing to love about this deodorant is that it can be used by both men and women. Smelling like coconut is NOT girly, y'all!
To make the deodorant, here's what you do:
- Gather the following ingredients:
- 6 Tbsp Coconut Oil (I prefer Virgin Coconut Oil because it
smells more like coconut), ¼ c Arrowroot Powder, & ¼ c Baking Soda. For the baking soda, do NOT use Arm
& Hammer – try to get the Bob’s Red Mill kind in the picture. I have tried
their Double Acting Aluminum Free kind, but I have very sensitive skin, and I
get irritated by that baking soda.
So, I get the normal Bob’s Red Mill Baking Soda. You'll also need a medium bowl and stirring spoon.
- In a medium bowl, put 6 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil.
- In the cold months, I usually have to semi-melt the coconut oil down to where it has some small chunks in it but it is still able to be stirred.
- To get this consistency, I usually put it in the
microwave for 10 seconds at a time until I get to a total cook time of 30-40
- Once the coconut oil is melted, add slightly less than ¼ c baking soda and slightly more than ¼ c arrowroot powder and stir until it becomes like a paste.
- You want less baking soda than arrowroot powder
because baking soda can be grainy and irritating to the skin, especially the
sensitive skin in your arm pits. (**If you try the deodorant and end up with
irritated skin, go back and add more arrowroot powder**)
- Once you’ve reached the desired consistency in
Step 4, you should be able to take some of the deodorant and smooth it in to
your skin without a grainy feeling or any residue left behind. It should basically melt into your
skin. BONUS: it smells amazing and
you’ll smell like coconut all day!
- Jar it up and use every day. I usually put a thick cover on my thumb
nail (what’s pictured below is even a little too much) and rub it in to my arm
pit. It will seem kind of gross at
first, but you’ll get used to it :)
Let me know if you have any questions - I am happy to answer with what I know.
Share your stories with this recipe, too - I love to know what does or doesn't work for you guys!
Thanks, y'all :)