Saturday, November 26, 2011

a craft rookie original

So, I told you guys yesterday that I had created name signs for my classroom and for my sister-in-law's classroom, too.  I just thought I'd share the final product of those with ya :)

This is my name sign.  I painted the letters, but didn't feel like that was enough.  So, I cut out little fabric bows and glued them for a decorative cuteness.  For some reason, it screams Minnie Mouse to me :)

Here's the letters I made for my sister-in-law.  Her favorite color is purple, so that's why I used purple fabric. Has anyone ever tried to search specifically for a muted purple fabric?? I had to go to 3 different fabric places to find the "just right" fabric, and it ended up being a fat quarter roll!  

I hung my letters in my classroom behind my desk area.  I would post what it all looks like altogether, but my classroom isn't terribly organized right now because as soon as school was over on Friday, I jetted out of there for a much-needed week-long vacay :)

I'm thinking about starting an ETSY shop to sell these letters.  My friend that I grew up with is a teacher down in Houston, and she said that she liked this idea and did letters of her own. So, that kinda makes me feel like other people might like these, too!

I'm gonna try to get her to send me a picture of her letters so I can post them here, too!  After all, I love to celebrate the craftiness in everyone!


On a completely unrelated topic....

Remember a few days ago (Thanksgiving) when I got in my car and it wouldn't start?? Remember how my neighbor came over and graciously brought my car back to life?? Well, as a token of appreciation during the time of year when we are all reminded to be a little more thankful for things, I made him and his wife some Puppy Chow/Muddy Buddies (whichever name you choose, it's still one of the most delicious and easy recipes).  Instead of just serving food, I decided to let them know why, exactly, I was thankful for them this year. 

So, I went to the store and bought a 5 lb bread loaf tin to use as the food holder.  As soon as I picked it up off the shelf, an idea was born: I would write them a letter of gratitude on the bottom of the tin so that, when they were done with their treat and throwing the tin away, they would be surprised with a nice note!


If you can't read it, it says: 

"Happy Holidays to the Neighbors who alert me to strange dogs in my yard and who came to my rescue on Thanksgiving Day. Here's some "Muddy Buddies" because you got down in the trenches and brought my car back to life :)

Thankful to you, Sarah"

Yes, they did alert me to strange dogs in my backyard. 

The best part about this: I finally feel like I'm a part of this neighborhood.  I've met the neighbors, and they are good people!

Sayonara,

the craft rookie

No comments:

Post a Comment